Cherry Orchard Lane
At the east end of the village lies Cherry Orchard Lane, the second road connecting Bemerton with Salisbury before the development of the Churchfield's estate.
In the mid 19th century there was a clay pit, used for brickmaking, on the north-west side of the road where it meets Orchard Road. Later, the area offered good conditions for the allotments and orchards that used to be present here.
Who lived here?
This house was built in the 1960s.
This house was built in the 1960s.
1 Cherry Orchard Lane
Among the first residents of this house in 1911 were Reginald and Bessie Dore, along with their 5-year-old daughter Edith. Reginald was employed as a draper's assistant and members of his family lived in the house until the 1950s.
2 Cherry Orchard Lane
Jeannette Mortimer, a widow, and her three children - Vera, Victor and Birdie - lived here in 1911. Vera was a dressmaker, Victor was a clerk and Birdie was at school.
3 Cherry Orchard Lane
Thomas and Alice Feltham were here in 1911 along with their baby son also called Thomas. Thomas senior was a professional shoeing smith, shoeing horses.
4 Cherry Orchard Lane
In 1911 Edward and Florence Thorner and their two school-aged children lived in this house while Edward worked as a railway engine driver. The family lived here until the 1950s.
5 Cherry Orchard Lane
Alfred and Ellen Watts and their teenage son also called Alfred lived here in 1911 when father Alfred was employed as a railway engine driver.
6 Cherry Orchard Lane
Fanny Doel, a widow, and her daughter Kate lived here in 1911, at which time Kate worked as a self-employed nurse (general and maternity). The Doel family and Fred Rockett lived in this house until the 1970s.
7 Cherry Orchard Lane
George and Lily Wagland occupied this property in 1911, when George was working as a bootmaker and repairer.
8 Cherry Orchard Lane
In 1911 Frank and Sarah Street lived here with their two young children. Frank was a motor driver at the local Scout motor works.
9 Cherry Orchard Lane
George and Amy Saunders lived in this property in 1911 with their two sons, Charles and Alfred, and Amy's brother also called Alfred. George was an engine driver, Charles was an upholsterer and Alfred senior was a labourer on the railways.
10 Cherry Orchard Lane
James and Julia Harding, who had no children, lived here in 1911 while James was employed as a railway fireman.
11 Cherry Orchard Lane
Josiah and Kathleen Kerley lived here in 1911 along with a boarder called Fred Ackland. Josiah was a metal turner and Fred was a railway engine stoker.
12 Cherry Orchard Lane
In 1911 Ernest and Martha Welch lived in this house with their young son Edgar. Ernest was a motor mechanic employed at the local Scout motor works.
13 Cherry Orchard Lane
William Penn was a cabinet maker and lived here with his wife Florence in 1911. William was self-employed and ran his business from home until he operated from retail premises nearby at 74 Wilton Road by the 1930s. William had by then expanded his business to become an undertaker.
14 Cherry Orchard Lane
Frank Chalk and his wife Clara lived here in 1911 along with their son Percy. Frank was a stone mason working at the Cathedral and Percy was a clerk in the railway station bookstall.
Headley Davis Court
The complex was built in the 1980s with the assistance of the Royal British Legion and was named after Mr Hedley Davis, who was the President and a founder member of the Legion’s Salisbury branch.
The retirement complex has 32 flats, all looking over a central courtyard, with communal facilities. Originally providing accommodation for ex-Service personnel and their families, the apartments later became a Housing Association complex and many apartments are now occupied by those without a military background.
In the early 20th century the allotments and the nearby Railway Club towards the lower end provided recreational facilities for railway workers, but these were redeveloped to make way for Syringa Court. This complex, accessed via Cherry Orchard Lane, was built on old railway allotments and on ground that once occupied Hill Terrace, a small block of four cottages which were here between the 1920s and the 1960s. Syringa is the botanical name for lilac shrubs and trees. The Edwardians adored lilacs and they were widely used as a cut flowers. Syringa Court consists of 16 terraced bungalows set on three sides of a square. Syringa Court was built in the early 1970s.