top of page
preserving the past for the future
Cecil Terrace, accessed from Lower Road, consists of two blocks of terraced houses.
Before the arrival of the railway, the meadow between Lower Road and Wilton Road was known as Long Close. Both terraces were built on the southern end of this stretch of ground. The eastern block formed the original Cecil Terrace and was built in 1897. The western block was known as Railway Terrace and was built in 1904. Later, Railway Terrace lost its identity and both terraces became known as Cecil Terrace.
The original terrace was named after Lord Robert Cecil (3rd Marquess of Salisbury) who was Prime Minister in 1897.
bottom of page